Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Composition studies part 2

So last time I spoke about studying composition through simple three value studies of master works. That covers only one or two aspects of composition, next I like to do small gouache studies. Although my artist of choice this time (James Bama) often chooses a straight forward composition, using value and color to create to same break-up this is not always the case. It can be an interesting exercise to see if an artist creates a different composition with color than with value.

2 comments:

Barry Sachs said...

I'm always trying to improve my compositions in the thumbnail/sketch phases, but it never occurred to me how valuable doing a master study breakdown of another illustrators work can offer insight into a better compositional decisions.

E.M. Gist said...

Barry- you should definitely try some, they are fun and educational. Best of all you can do them in little short block when you don't have time to do much else.