Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Men at Work (Sargent)

I always enjoy finding pictures of great artist's working, even (sometimes especially) if they are staged.
The more authentic pictures can be more informative, it is fun to try and identify the work habits of the greats. The staged ones are great too because they are often so silly and obvious.
So to that end, I am starting a new semi-regular. Send me photos of any artist you admire working on a piece of artwork. In the vein of Ain't It Cool News feature Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day "I’m looking for the iconic, the rare or the just plain cool behind the scenes shots to feature here." These can range from rare B&W photos of artists long past to young turks caught at a workshop or convention. You can email your photos to me at emgist@erikgist.com

To start us off, who can tell me who this dapper gent is? Unfortunately this one smacks of the staged variety, with one of his most famous paintings openly displayed.


2 comments:

Bryan said...

Erik,

I think your title may have given the answer away. Having John Singer Sargent in front of Madame X is like having Da Vinci in front of the Mona Lisa!

E.M. Gist said...

HA! true enough, but if someone doesn't know who painted Madame X they probably wouldn't know anyway.